School Choice Festival -- Best Chance to Visit Every School
Families encouraged to attend this free, fun-filled, informative event
Nashville, Tenn. – Jan. 8, 2018 – Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) announced today its School Choice Festival, an annual event created to help families decide where their children should attend school, is slated for Tuesday Jan. 23, at Fairgrounds Nashville, 5-7 p.m.
Metro Schools offers families the choice of sending their children to neighborhood or other schools throughout the district. For families who are considering a school outside of their neighborhood, the School Choice Festival represents the best opportunity to visit every Metro school in one afternoon and in one central location. This is the only time all Metro Schools — neighborhood, magnet and more — are in one place at the same time. The festival is a free event that allows time for families to consider their options before making a decision.
At the event, families can visit with as many schools as they like, meet teachers or other staff, learn more about school programs and sign up for school tours. Families may apply for up to seven schools, ranked in order of preference. The optional schools application opens Jan. 10. The deadline to submit applications is Feb. 2, 2018, for inclusion in the selection process. On selection day, students will find out where they are accepted and where they are placed on a waitlist.
JANUARY 10, OPTIONAL SCHOOLS APPLICATION OPENS
- Access the application online or fill out the paper copy sent home with students.
- Apply to a maximum of seven (7) schools.
- Rank your choices in order of preference.
- Apply at any time before the February 2 deadline — it is not “first come, first served.”
- For the month of January, Tour Tuesdays will be held Jan. 9, 16, 23 and 30.
- For more information, visit www.mnps.org/visit or contact the school.
JANUARY 23, 5-7 p.m. SCHOOL CHOICE FESTIVAL
- Meet teachers or staff from schools.
- Learn about school programs and offerings.
- Sign up for school tours.
FEBRUARY 2, APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Submit your optional schools application by the Feb. 2 deadline to be included in the selection process.
FEBRUARY 23, SELECTION DAY
- Find out which schools accepted your child. For schools with more applicants than spaces, there may be wait lists.
- Enroll your child to secure your seat.
See these videos:
Metro Nashville Public Schools is one of the nation’s top 50 largest school districts, preparing 88,000 students for higher education, work and life. With the goal of being the first choice for Nashville families, Metro Schools is committed to #ExceedingGreatExpectations with the mission of delivering a great public education to every student, every day. The district is earning a national reputation for urban school reform, social and emotional learning and rising academic achievement. The governing body for Metro Schools is the Metropolitan Nashville Board of Public Education, a nine-member elected body. For more information, visit MNPS.org, or follow us on Twitter @MetroSchools or Facebook /MetroSchools.